Buying a pair of diamond earrings is usually a very special event in the life of any man or woman. Despite their lack of practical use, diamonds are immensely popular for their beauty, rarity, durability, clarity, brilliance, sparkle, and longevity. You can rest assured that the diamond you buy will last forever. You can pass it on to the next generation, making it a symbol of everlasting love.
Wearing diamond earrings can boost your self-esteem, make you feel special, and give you a rare sense of achievement. When you wear diamond earrings, you express the best aspects of your individuality—your charm, fire, inner strength, and reliability; and thus, you create a positive impression on others.
Buying diamond earrings, however, is far from easy, which is why we have compiled the following guide for you. These tips will help you find diamond earrings that best suit your personality and your budget.
Diamond Earrings for Men
Interestingly, diamond jewellery is not just for women. Diamonds are a man’s best friends too. Men love diamonds as much as women do although most of them prefer a little less of sparkle and limit their jewellery to wedding bands and watches. However, the number of men becoming fashion conscious and preferring to buy gold chains and diamond earrings is on the rise.
In the early nineties, men and boys started piercing one of their ears and wearing single diamond studs. Later, they started piercing both their ears and some of them got several piercings not only in their ears, but all over their bodies. They even started wearing larger diamond studs, and some of them preferred wearing diamond drop earrings and diamond hoop earrings.
Despite their increasing love for jewellery, men still don’t like covering themselves with ornaments the way women do. Moreover, you have to consider the fact that diamond earrings look best on male artists and teenagers. You have to consider your social status, environment, and job before you purchase diamond earrings for regular use. Some professionals may consider them to be inappropriate.
If you are a man who wants to wear diamond earrings, here are a few points to bear in mind:
- You ought to strike a balance between appearing as a teenage rebel and showing real class and personality.
- Diamond earrings for men are considered neither formal nor casual.
- You may be in love your brand new diamond earrings, but your boss may hate them.
- If you have to interact with clients all day long, you have to think twice about wearing those diamond earrings.
- Choose diamond earrings that match the shape of your face and the tone of your skin.
- Keep the size of your earrings in proportion with the size of your body.
- You can wear just one earring or two; it’s up to you.
The good news is that you no longer have to search through a pile of women’s jewellery to find a pair of diamond earrings you can wear. A wide range of diamond earrings for men is now available and you can easily choose one that best suits your style and personality.
- Magnetic earrings are for men who don’t like to pierce their ears.
- Small thin hoop earrings are fast gaining popularity among men.
- Diamond stud earrings are ideal for beginners as they are versatile and easy to wear.
- You can choose from a wide range of novelty diamond earrings, but they may not be suitable for the workplace.
- Clip-on earrings are ideal for men who like to experiment with various looks.
So why do some men prefer to wear diamond earrings? Here are some of the reasons:
- Fashion Statement: Men who wear diamond earrings as a fashion statement usually go in for hoops or large diamond studs.
- Tradition: Wearing earrings is part of their religious practice.
- Status Symbol: Some men love to display their financial status through their diamond earrings.
- Profession: Male artists usually wear earrings as part of their profession.
- Attraction: Some men wear diamond earrings just to attract a female partner.
- Rebellion: Some men just want to be different and do things differently. Wearing diamond earrings is a way to stand out of the crowd and display one’s spirit of rebellion.
Diamond Earrings for Women
Wearing diamond earrings may be a personal choice for men, but it is an absolute must for women. Almost all women have a pair of diamond earrings in their jewellery box.
While the choice of diamond earrings for men is rather limited, women can choose diamond earrings in a wide range of sizes, patterns, and themes. In fact, choosing the best pair of diamond earrings is the most difficult thing for a woman.
Women shoppers will find diamond earrings for almost any occasion. You can buy large diamond studs if you crave the elegant look that suits you so well when you are at work. Or you may prefer to purchase the eye-catching dangling earrings that make heads turn when you are at a wedding or a party.
Here are a few reasons why women love buying diamond earrings:
- Diamonds suit any occasion. You can wear them to a wedding or you can wear them to the workplace. You can wear them with any outfit ranging from a wedding gown to a formal suit and you will still look great.
- Diamond earrings come in a wide range of themes, patterns, sizes, and styles.
- Diamonds literally last for forever. These sparkling stones are tough and can survive any situation. Since your diamond earrings will never get damaged, the money you invest on them will never be wasted.
- You diamond stud earrings will never clash with any other jewellery you might like to wear with them.
- Diamonds symbolize a lot of beautiful things, including everlasting love.
- A pair of diamond earrings can boost your self-confidence like nothing else can.
- Some women feel that buying a few pieces of diamond jewellery instead of buying a load of costume or junk jewellery can actually save a lot of money.
Diamond Earrings of Varying Sizes – Which is the Best Size?
The size of your diamond earrings depends on your requirements. If you want to wear your diamond stud earrings every day, you ought to be looking for something smaller. At the same time, you wouldn’t want your diamonds to be too small to be seen. So you should be looking for diamonds in the range of .25 – 1 carat.
Obviously, we cannot recommend any one size. Many people prefer one carat diamonds, but diamonds of this size may not suit your face. If you want to wear your diamond earrings daily, you might prefer something smaller. On the other hand, you may be also looking for bigger diamonds to wear on occasions.
Price is also an important factor to consider before deciding on the size. Bigger diamonds will cut a huge hole in your pocket and you wouldn’t want that to happen. At the same time, you could be the type of person that doesn’t mind paying big money for a large, high-quality diamond that you can own with pride for a lifetime.
When you are purchasing diamond earrings, you should understand that carats are halved and each half is assigned to one of the earrings in the pair. For example, diamond earrings of 1 carat are actually two diamonds of 0.50 carat each, one for each earring.
You also have to understand the concept of points when it comes to purchasing diamond earrings. A diamond of one carat is assigned 100 points. Moreover, a one carat diamond need not necessarily be exactly one carat. It can be anywhere in the range of 0.98 carat to 1.02 carat, in which case, you will have to pay more for it. Even if it is slightly lesser or more than a carat, the jeweller may still advertise it as one carat. Each diamond in the pair of earrings can be 0.48 carat, but presented as one carat.
Pricing – How Much Do Diamond Earrings Cost?
Several factors are taken in consideration while fixing the price of diamond earrings, and here are some of them:
- Weight – The weight of a diamond, as we all know, is measured in carats. Each carat is assigned 100 points. As carat does not guarantee quality, you may get low quality diamonds of higher carats at lower prices.
- Cut – Another factor that determines price is cut. Cut is important as it gives diamonds their shape, brilliance, and sparkle. Well cut stones always cost more than poorly cut ones. We strongly advise against purchasing badly cut stones just to save money as they would lack the very brilliance that makes diamonds worth buying.
- Clarity and Colour – Colourless diamonds are the most expensive as they can reflect the most light. Since they are extremely rare, they cost a lot of money. To save some money, you can go in for nearly colourless or even faint yellow diamonds.
Diamonds may also have slight inclusions or blemishes that are hardly visible to the naked eye. The most clear diamonds are those without inclusions, but they cost a lot of money.
Many jewellers allow you to trade your older, less expensive diamond jewellery for a valuable pair of diamond earrings and get a huge discount. If you make use of trade up opportunities such as these, you can save quite a lot of money.
Taking all the above-mentioned factors into consideration, a pair of diamond earrings can cost anywhere in the range of $500 to $36,000. Your diamond jeweller is the best person to help you find diamond earrings that not only suit your style and personality, but also your budget.
Tips to Choose and Buy Diamond Earrings
So now that it is time to actually go out and buy a pair of diamond earrings, here are some tips to help you:
- Choosing the Right Cut– Diamonds for men are usually square, emerald, or round in shape. These cuts look good irrespective of whether they are worn in pairs or solo. On the other hand, diamond earrings for women come in a wider range of cuts, including round, emerald, square, pear, and marquise, to mention just a few.
While choosing diamond cut, you should not only consider your personal tastes and preferences, but also the shape of your face. Square or emerald cut diamonds look beautiful on round faces; while round cut diamonds give square or long faces a stylish look.
Choose a cut that can make you look stylish and elegant irrespective of what you are wearing. Ideally, you should try on earrings with differently cut diamonds to find out the cut that best suits you.
- Choosing the Right Carat– Carat refers to the weight of a diamond, not its size. Two diamonds of the same carat can be cut differently to make them look smaller or bigger.
The right carat for you depends on a number of factors, including your budget and the size and shape of your ears. Diamond earrings for men are usually in the range of 0.25 to 1 carat. If you want to attract attention, you ought to wear larger diamonds of 1.25 carats or more.
- Choosing the Metal– The type and colour of the metal you choose for your diamond earrings depends on your personal tastes, requirements, and preferences as well as your budget. If you have money to splash around, go in for platinum. If you want to save money and still appear elegant, sterling silver or 9 karat gold should be your choice.
- Some Interesting Alternatives– If you are interested in getting the contemporary look, we suggest purchasing black diamond earrings instead of the traditional colourless diamond earrings. Black diamonds, along with diamonds of other colours, are fast becoming popular simply because they are unique, modern, and intriguing.
If you want to save a lot of money, you can also consider purchasing diamond alternatives such as moissanite. Small moissanites look just like diamonds, but they are cheaper because they are developed in laboratories.
Where to Buy Diamond Earrings?
You can buy diamond earrings at either online or land-based stores. When you buy at a land-based store, you can actually see and feel the piece of jewellery you would like to buy. You can try it on to find out how it looks on you. Online jewellery stores may not give you this luxury, but they offer plenty of options and a wider choice when it comes to patterns and themes.
Here is a piece of expert advice for you. Visit a number of land-based jewellery stores and take photos of diamond earrings that you like the most. Then visit a number of online jewellery stores to compare prizes, carats, cuts, and patterns. This will help you get the best deal.
Buy diamond earrings only from licensed and highly reputed jewellers. They should be able to give you expert advice and help you pick a piece that best suits your budget and individuality. They should also be in a position to give you the certificate that comes with the diamond. This certificate, which contains detailed information about the stone’s cut, clarity, and colour, should be issued by reputable gem testing laboratories such as the EGL, the AGS, and/or GIA.
Buying Preset Diamond Stud Earrings
You may be tempted to purchase diamonds that have already been set into silver or gold mounting. Buying preset diamond studs is convenient as it saves you the task of choosing a setting for your diamonds.
If you buy preset studs, however, you cannot decide on the carat, cut, or size of your diamonds. The jeweller would have already done that, and in doing so, the jeweller would have used diamonds of far lower quality.
If you must buy preset diamond jewellery, make sure that the stones are no bigger than 0.30 carats each. If the stones are larger, buy them only if they are accompanied by AGS or GIA certificates. Never purchase uncertified diamonds even if the jeweller offers them at a heavy discount.
The above tip applies only to diamonds larger than 0.30 carats. Diamonds lower than 0.30 are not graded as the cost of grading them far exceeds their value.